Victims of drunk driving accidents in Colorado Springs can make a personal injury claim to gain compensation for their damages. Drunk driving cases are usually black-and-white offences, but that won’t stop insurance companies from trying to make your life difficult.
We welcome you to contact our Colorado Springs drunk driving accident attorneys today for a free consultation.
Why Hire a Colorado Springs Drunk Driving Accident Attorney?
Win The Maximum Possible Settlement
You were not at fault if you’ve been injured in a drunk driving accident, so you shouldn’t be expected to suffer financially for medical expenses, lost wages and other damages.
The drunk driver’s insurance company should compensate you, but if you go it alone they will almost certainly try to undervalue your claim. An undervalued claim could leave your future in financial ruin, as you pay out of your own pocket.
Our Colorado Springs drunk driving accident attorneys will fight aggressively to win you the maximum possible settlement, through investigations, negotiations and strong communication.
Evidence and Investigations
Winning a personal injury claim requires proof that the other driver was drunk. This is usually obtainable via a police report, but it can go missing. Or you could be blamed for the accident, even if the other driver was drunk.
Our Colorado Springs drunk driving accident attorneys have the resources to obtain irrefutable evidence about the accident’s true cause and the true value of your injuries.
From medical experts to financial specialists, we’ll show why you deserve the money.
Can I Get Compensation for My Accident Caused by a Drunk Driver?
Yes. If we can prove that your accident was caused by a drunk driver, then you should be entitled to compensation.
This is done by proving negligence. All vehicle drivers must uphold a duty of care for other road users. Drink driving is a violation of that. It is a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) crime.
To prove the other driver was drunk at the cause of the accident, our Colorado Springs drunk driver accident attorneys will collect evidence such as:
- Police reports
- CCTV footage
- Dashcam footage
- Speed camera data
- Crash reconstruction experts
- Financial experts
- Medical experts
- Maintenance reports
- Eye witness reports
- Other specialists
What Damages Can I Win for My Drunk Driver Accident in Colorado Springs?
If you’ve been injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver in Colorado Springs, you may be able to recover damages including:
Damages with a monetary value attached.
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitation costs
- Treatment costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- In-Home Care Expenses
- Medical equipment costs
- Transportation expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and Disfigurement
- Long-Term Disability
How to File a Claim for a Drunk Driving Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, you will need to file a claim against their insurance provider.
This is because Colorado is an ‘at-fault’ state for car accident injuries; which means the victim files a claim against the at-fault party’s insurer and not their own.
The at-fault party’s insurer will almost certainly provide a lowball offer first or outright deny your claim. In this case, you can use a Colorado Springs car accident attorney to negotiate or bring a lawsuit against them.
We advise speaking to an attorney from day one to avoid being manipulated, denied and overwhelmed by stressful communications when you need to recover.
- File a personal injury claim.
- Prove the drunk driver was at-fault via investigations and evidence.
- Negotiate a better settlement.
- File a lawsuit if the insurance company isn’t providing sufficient settlement.
How Long Do I Have to File a Drunk Driver Injury Claim in Colorado Springs?
- Colorado Springs’ statute of limitations law defines that personal injury claims for a motor vehicle accident can be made within 3 years from the date of the car accident.
- However, if the at-fault party was the state of Colorado, a city or a county (such as El Paso) then you only have 180 days to file a claim, and 2 years to file a personal injury lawsuit.
- It’s advised to make your claim as soon as possible, to prevent delays causing you to miss the deadline.
Colorado Springs DUI Laws
Driving Under the Influence (DUI) is a misdemeanor criminal offense in Colorado, but it is a class 4 felony if it occurs after 3 or more prior convictions. Here’s how it is defined:
- A DUI occurs if a driver has a blood or breath alcohol content of 0.080 or more
- A driver can still be charged with a DUI if they’re under 0.080, or if there is evidence that their faculties were impaired, such as through erratic driving, slurred speech and slow response times.
- A DUI covers both alcohol and drug use.
- A personal injury claim will have no influence on whether the drunk driver is criminally charged. Your claim is a civil case and focuses only on gaining the victim’s compensation.
Types of Injuries in Drunk Driver Accidents:
Our Colorado Springs drunk driver accident attorneys have successful experience with victims suffering:
- Back, shoulder, and neck injury
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Catastrophic injury
- Chest injury
- Crushing injury
- Eye injury
- Fractures and broken bones
- Head injury, including concussion
- Sprains and strains
- Scarring & Disfigurement
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Traumatic brain injuries
Hire a Drunk Driver Accident Attorney in Colorado Springs, CO
If you or a loved one have been injured in a drunk driver accident in Colorado Springs, El Paso or its surrounding areas then our Colorado Springs drunk driver accident lawyers can help.
Even if you were less than 50% at fault, you may still have the chance to win a settlement.
Sean McQuaid and Jonathon Douglas are award-winning Personal Injury Attorneys with vast experience, a proven track record, a strong reputation and impressive resources. We believe we provide the strongest chance of winning the maximum possible settlement to rebuild your life.